View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
I have a handful of good used hoses -- that would probably be your quickest option. Send a PM if that would be of interest to you.

This piece is NLA from Volvo, unfortunately, but also not hard to make your own if needed, as casioqv suggested.
Thanks for the quick answer guys. I figured it will be not too easy to find it.) Tasca lists it but there`s no picture of the item so I cant compare. It might be another volvo item with the same part number? i dont know.

I do not know sizes either, could one of you measure inner&outer diameters at both ends of hose, please? (Or, at the point where it goes onto)
I`d have to remove &measure myself but I wouldn`t get car off the road until I`m ready for the fix (time&proper hoses---measurements needed).
Also, I got worried some about those air pocket in cooling system issues I was reading a lot about, here on the forum.

Isn`t this leak (near, or...) at the highest point of the entire cooling system?... that suggests to me that it might be a `lucky spot` to have a hole at, therefore it might not be `so` rocket science to get it off, putting in new unit (2hoses with an adapter (or a T) between them) without losing much coolant, maybe, then using your best d24t-pro way/method to get all air out, guys (suggestions welcome!) Probably I should do a flush too but let`s deal with 1 issue at a time.
I didn`t have overheating at all, just noticed that ugly hose , the clamp eating into it , plus now it`s leaking.

Why am I thinking that easiest way would be to get hoses onto each end, let them meet at middle where u would see either a compression fitting or a copper connector/ adapter/reduced/splicer
Would it be useful having some type of a valve in there?...pointing up maybe? that could be an access point for later service, if some `checkups` needed.

Interestingly, I found a picture of a TD volvo, called SoDak, on a forum, there I saw a pic showing same hose being home made, 3sections joined by `50lbs of clamps` or a T? ...looks it`s been functioning properly &holding on safely.
Comments needed . Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Don't fix it with thin walled aluminum pipe, that will be a possible corrosion issue long term.
TRUE! Thanks!

If I were you, I would just get a brass or copper size adapter that adapts from the size on one end of the hose to the other. Then you can run regular off the shelf coolant hose from any auto parts store.
I was thinking about same solution.

In the short term, you can make the hose survive until you get a replacement going by wrapping it in a layer of "hose repair tape" as sold in truck stops, then wrap diagonally in two directions with dental floss, and then wrap again with a layer of hose repair tape. I've done this on hoses before, and suspect even the worst hoses would survive months of normal use with this treatment. I never drive an old diesel anywhere without this tape and dental floss in the glove box.
Wow. I`m surprised. Dental floss...nice. Will put that into the toolbox! thx for sharing!

Another option is to just remove the cold start device and cap off it's hoses. I don't know how well that would work in your climate, but in warmer areas I think it would be fine.
I`d stay away from that thing if possible. Idea is good if there was nothing else to do. I love to hear from people how they deal with d24 issues
Sorry forumers, I still dont know how to do multiple quotes properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connections volvo 740.jpg (29.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-02-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typed incorrectly