View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Supporting Member

Welcome to the D24T forum.

Here are my first answers to your initial questions:

a) is it possible to convert the pulleys to poly-V? My alternator belt seems to scream a lot when cold or under load and I don't want to make it any tighter.

Alt belt needs to be pretty tight. How old is the belt and is it a quality brand?

b) how do I adjust the idle speed?

Idling too fast or too slow? Normally, idle speed adjustment is via the idle stop screw near the top of the IP, running alongside the valvecover side. There is a tab on the IP throttle lever that contacts the end of the screw, and the front end has the slot cut in it for a flat screwdriver to adjust effective length and a 10mm nut to lock the screw position. Difficult to get tools in there between the injector lines.

c) last year I replaced the front four glow plugs. (Back two very difficult to get to) One of them was a pain to get out and indeed seriously damaged the thread. I am not confident about next time. Can I tap out the hole to take a larger plug?

I think installing a helicoil might be a better idea. Treat it like stripped sparkplug threads in an aluminum head gasser.