View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 PM

Default Trapped in Cape Cod

Hey guys,

I'm up in Cape Cod, MA. With my '79 245, with a D24T from an '85 760 in it. I need to get pack to PA in a few days. Like five hundred miles away.

I've been having some problems. Mainly air in my fuel line. It took me a little to figure out, but the car would get progressively slower, until it would eventually stall. I would open the hood when it would be running and having this issue and see the return line full of bubbles, but I wouldn't see air in the feed line.

The more I've dealt with it, it seems there is air in the feed line as well. Which makes sense. I should say there is still the in-tank fuel pump still left over from when this car was a gasser. So it has an electric feed pump, and I have confirmed it is still running, but I am unsure that it is pumping to it's fullest potential. At first I thought it might be a clogged fuel filter, but I changed it a few weeks ago. It is not leaking fuel, except from the injection pump, but that symptom predates theses fueling issues. I have not opened up the fuel tank yet, but there is no change in the problem depending on how full the tank is. This problem does not seem to happen until the car has been driving for awhile. I don't know what that is about.

I just went on a hundred or so mile drive with my friend and it drove fine for the first 60 or so miles, and then started having this issue. I would pull over when this would happen and the car would basically stall out as we were pulling over. I would then have my friend run the in-tank fuel pump and I would open the bleed valve on top of the fuel filter, trying to purge out the air in the system. Then we would try and start the car which would still take some cranking. It got worse and worse until we were stopping every 5 miles, and I didn't think the battery could take that much cranking every few minutes. We eventually gave up and got towed back to the house. The tow truck driver Rob, was awesome and really liked the car.

I should also state that I have been adding a mixture of 85% WVO 15% Gasoline to my tank. Since I have started having this problem I've been trying to run on more diesel then that. Although I do think when I started doing this is about when the problem started happening. I don't understand why air in the fuel line would correlate with this, but you guys tell me.

If you guys wouldn't mind brain storming this problem with me, I'd appreciate it.

Hopefully all this makes sense.

Thanks very much.

-Eli