View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 08:32 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Ride height in the rear / car does not sit level

What is the best and quickest and easiest way to `lift` the sagging rear of the 745?
It isnt really sagging but it actually looks like it does.

BTW I have the IPD anti sway bars at the front and back, IPD (Overload rated!) blue rear spings, new `Bilstein Standard` shocks on all 4 corners. I have 4 matching new tires as well so that is exactly why I Am confused about the (minimal) sag.
The suspension is amazing, safe and stiff and still very comfy. I also have all fresh front bushings so it does feel like a true dream compared to what a neglected, worn 700 can be.

so...
Why does my wagon still *looks* like it could use a 1-3cm `lift` in the rear?
About 3/4 inch.
Best way to achieve that?
It could use improved ride height in the back.
Again, my suspension is fresh and massive, it is very much perfect.

But...
a quick look at the `gap`
from the top of the front wheel to the front fender
VS
the gap from the top of the rear wheel to the rear fender
proves the very obvious: height differences... it looks like a sagging rear. Car is not completely level with the road.

this is not just an optical illusion

What`s The part in the rear that is responsible the most for proper ride height of the rear of this car? I`m gonna climb under the car again and look at all the bushings and all. Can it be crushed rubber under the springs? I barely think so. Those are thin anyway. Maybe there`s a way to shim it up ABOVE the springs. (?) IDK yet, will see it tomorrow.

{I remember once I read that the front springs, through time and wear, can `elongate` but I personally doubt that can happen or happened.
But the only suspension component that is not changed and not new yet, is, voila, the front springs. IDK.}
I have nothing to do at the front but would like to lift the rear up in a very easy cheap and proper way. Some say i could cut the front springs but im strongly against cutting springs on any car and i find it vandalism lol especially on roads that we have here it makes zero sense and unsafe. Also the d24t is a really heavy unit. ((In general, I would rather lift a car than lowering it like most people do. For this neat wagon, I prefer no heavy mods here, I want near-stock, comfy, nothing irreversible... all for regular use))

I dont even think the front springs are near standard but rather made for the diesel. Are these diesel strong ones still available?
What`s the best aftermarket substitution that does very well for this duty, for one day once i hit the lottery??

Nice if you could share your experience. And thanks in advance for the advice on the sagging.

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-16-2020 at 08:46 PM.