View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Great info

Thanks for taking the time to describe!

I looked at the area at the rear of the engine, I used a small telescopic mirror and I saw the flanges you were pointing out.
I don't recall seeing these when last year I built new lines to replace all the cooling system hoses on/for two engines (maybe because they were nonturbo motors that dont have those(?), i'm not sure). Anyway, as you suggest, I'll simply not disturb those o-rings unless they start leaking. Though it is pretty hard to successfully monitor the area for faults, and it is not the cleanest parts of the engine either, I'll still keep watching them.

I should have replaced that rear hose long ago bc engine oil does get on it frequently (valve cover is suspect) and bc it has been long years since the car was built. It will be a good occassion maybe when the timing belt(s) get replaced.
I would probably get the upper radiator hose replaced too, because that's the one exposed to probably the most amount of heat, dust, oil and/or fuel mist.
The one under my injection pump is exposed to most of the worst: dirt, oil and fuel...but on my car that hose is so hard and thick that I'll probably leave it alone (maybe some special heavy duty hose)
Answering your question about overheating in the past; luckily that hadn't happened. And there is/was no oil in water, so the o-rings in the rear are probably in good condition.
The other coolant hoses look completely fine but I was wondering whether or not it is suggested to get them replaced anyway...because, as you said, " a sudden loss of coolant is a catastrophic event" ....but again, they are probably only 7yrs old and have about 40k (gentle) miles at the most. Monitoring coolant levels would be the bestinsurance for all of us. It is absolutely crazy that these engines never had an alerting system for the driver to immediately signal an unfortunate&deadly coolant fluid level drop.

A radiator flush (and hopefully the flush of the entire engine) will be performed just in case when the waterpump gets replaced at the tb service. But im sure that for this particular car, it isnt necessary actually. And im not sure how i could get ALL OF THE LEFTOVERS OF THE FLUSHING LIQUID BACK OUT.
That tb service is on mind mind now so badly...
It's been 7yrs and about 40k miles since the full refurbishing of this engine took place.

Luckily I have the factory tools. And the literature. But i have tons of qs...maybe i'll open a separate thread for them.
Because I have tb picts that made me concerned a little. a lot

Last edited by RedArrow; 06-10-2019 at 05:22 PM.