View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Thanks for your instructions! I`ll get to fixing it very soon. I am sure that my belt is not perfectly alligned by now so I`ll have to change the PS Pump mounting bushings. You mentioned alternator bushings as well... I suspect that the steering pump`s front seal is gone too (the pump does leak slowly) so I`ll have to add fluid for now and then find a nice afternoon with 35+ temps... I got confused at the car parts store about the proper power steering fluid. As far as I remember I always used some red/purple looking automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in our d24-s and not the regular power steering fluid. What type (F?) and what brand should I buy? Thanks for confirming.
Sorry, I wrote alternator bushings by mistake, I meant power steering pump bushings -- must have been too tired when I first typed that message, I just went back and corrected it. 3 new PS pump bushings should be all you need, job is easy, just make sure you note carefully how all the bolts and nuts and washers are stacked and oriented when you take it apart (or better yet take some pictures beforehand), since the setup is different at each of the 3 attachment points and it's not always immediately obvious how it should go back together.

If the pump is seeping then resealing it at the same time as you do the bushings is a good idea, since a leak from that seal lets fluid run down onto your new rubber bushings and degrade them. (Unless you use the blue poly bushings that IPD sells, which are impervious to oil degradation -- but fixing the leak is still a good idea anyway.)