View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Volvo 740 wagon suspension idea

Nothing is too expensive, it is all available relatively cheaply.
I have
Bilstein Touring (non heavy duty) shocks all around ($65each),
New front SKF upper bearings with all new front end bushings and anti sway bar end links,
Rear overload springs from IPD ($175 for the pair, that time),
IPD 25mm anti sway bars front And rear ($275 for the pair/kit),

The car is like a dream, it cant even get compared to what it was before.

It is cruising like a tank/aeroplane and feels super safe, stable, with absolutely no tilt, no wobbles, no bs going on.
Because all these updates were done at the same time, idk what changed the ride that much, but I can tell it was worth it a lot.

It cruises like never before.

The Bilstein TOURING shocks (front or rear) are NOT too soft in my opinion, also, these wagons are not needing overload shocks at all (in my opinion). You don't want to rattle your teeth out. You don't want extra noise. Also I'm running on Volvo Hydra (factory option) rims with 215/60 r16 tires... and it would be too stiff and noisy and uncomfy IF I had my car set up differently, such as: bigger diameter rims with `shorter` tires, poly bushings, or heavy duty shocks etc.
In my opinion you do not need heavy duty shocks/struts at all. Especially sedan owners. Wagon owners: maybe. Maybe not, Unless you carry weights of 300-500-700kgs, or towing some heavy duty trailer or another car or both. The overload REAR *SPRINGS* will be your best friend anyways.

NYC roads suck, bigtime, this setup was the best option for me. I truly love it.
My comment on our diesel-powered Volvos showing up on Car-parts websites: many of them do not even know they ever existed. )

The only thing I would do differently, is `getting rid` of my diesel front springs (if needed). I read a Volvo article on how they can elongate (weird!!?) as they get tired by aging, damn soft OR bad struts; AND badly sagging rear ends that change geometry a lot. I had it all...
Now after all the setups, the fender gap is bigger than before and that might be the case... IDK where to get NEW, oem DIESEL/TD front springs, if available at all. Thanks for comments on that.

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-25-2017 at 03:42 PM.