View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Old post but you can try

https://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?p=4985

or here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18391401833...3ABFBM8K7i4rdh

Getting the glow plugs out would be a good thing to see how the tips look. They should also light up glowing red (12Volts) in appr 5-7 (max 9) seconds.

The proper, quality glow plugs are cheap (not expensive at all). Good (BEST) ones are made by Bosch, they are the Duraterms, part number 80010, i think (double check!). Should be about $6-7 each. Cheap! DO NOT ever accept Champion glowplugs. Junk quality, the tips of low quality glowplugs can puff up and then may land inside the engine. Even if they work/look ok, do not reuse those.

I would def take your plugs out to get them tested. If anyone used starter fluid, or simply cycled them for too long, or too many times, they might have gone bad. Your chances that they are actually not fresh, are high.
If two or more are bad, the car will not start. Where you are, I would say you need minimum 5 plugs to start it. Can be tricky even with 6. ))

Maybe speak with Harry and ask what and when he used for glowplugs but that wont guarantee that at least some of them are not bad (excessive amounts of starting attempts, starting fluids used, glowplug over-cycling, bad relay etc etc)

You could technically just get the front 4 out, easier access than moving the pump, test the 4, see first if they are okay. See if they are ok, also see if they look okay. This gives you an idea of the other two...sometimes.

The tips should not be puffy, cracked, chipped or deformed in any way. Eventually you DO want all 6 glowplugs in there in perfect condition, asap. Even in the hottest Summer, glowplugs are actually needed and will turn on at least once a day (for the first start). Bosch Duraterms are superb quality. Sold at R()ck/\uto as well.

If all is double checked with all of the required basic settings of the engine, do you think you can you just wait with "removing all belts" ?
if the engine was put together recently, the timing belt should not be in bad condition.

It was like only a year ago that PO assembled this unit. Any signs of oil or crimping on the belt? What makes you think it needs a timing belt?

I would FIRST reset the engine as per the Greenbook procedure then see how/if it starts.

What does it look/feel/sound like when you rotate the engine by hand (all the way around, TWICE at least!! ... always do it by the 27mm crank pulley not by the top (cam) pulley). Is the basic setting done by PO? There`s a section in Greenbook called 'basic setting of d24 engine'.

Sorry about the amount of advice,
IDK what stage you are at...
Where are you with all the diagnoses?

A good article:
https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/blog/co...ailure-causes/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bosch 80010.jpg (31.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-16-2023 at 10:11 PM.