View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 PM

WARNING: those opposed to volvo abuse of any kind my wish to avoid looking carefully at the backgrounds of some images in this thread.

motivation is high at the moment put in a 12 hour day working from 9 this morning (was at the yard at half 8 but the keys didn't arrive until later)!

so, progress today, i'll let the pictures do the taking.

convenient having a manitou on hand we found another use for it, but the video didn't work.

old and new

so that's how we are now, all the necessary engine wiring has been separated from the 940, and is ready to be attached to the 740 loom. jobs for tomorrow are:

- acquire new front and rear brake hoses, engine oil and coolant. a proper service with cam belt, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter will be performed soon, as soon as i have the monies as i'm predictably somewhat skint at the moment! - drain 740 fuel tank
- remove diff, prop shaft and fuel tank from 940, along with at least one fuel line.
- remove diff, prop shaft and fuel tank from 740, remove fuel pump and filter,
- replace above with 940 parts
- fit 940 washer bottle, battery tray and air-box to 740
- fit glow plug relay, EGR system and engine loom to 740, run wires through to left footwell
- fit D24 to 740, connect gear linkage, struts, trailing arms, steering column, prop, lines (vacuum, fuel and clutch slave) and wires.
- transfer ARB drop links to replace worn ones off 940
- transfer rack end to replace one i ground off 940 strut :P alternatively, transfer nearly new recon rack form 740 crossmember to 940 as 940 one leaking (will need doing soon if not tomorrow).
- install rad and intercooler, connect
- fill coolant
- fit brake lines
- bleed brakes and clutch
- install battery
- bleed fuel system and start (hotwire necessary connections), remove from yard and drive (500 yards) home to complete wiring ASAP.

necessary wiring, actually a darn sight easier than expected:

- one wire from fuse 13 to glow plug relay (ignition live)
- one wire from existing starter signal to starter and glow plug relay
- oil pressure signal to existing instrument cluster light
- two wires for temperature signal to existing gauge
- alternator charge signal to existing instrument cluster light
- alternator RPM signal to existing rev counter (it's the wire on the spade connector on the back, should get it working, don't know if it'll be accurate or a factor out)
- over-boost signal to instrument cluster light, in my cluster it will appear as choke light, but that can be changed by fitting a diesel warning lights screen
- glow plugs signal to instrument cluster light, don't know where that will appear, but i'm going to wire it as per the green book so it'll be in the right place when i get the right screen.
- make a little loom up from excess wires to connect +12V from the battery to the old battery location to link to the fuse box feed. seems easier than removing the old one and running a new feed. also this loom will have the 5 wires for the washer pumps and the washer level sensor.

hmm, don't know when all this will be done, but i need to get it on wheels by the end of tomorrow as it's blocking the entrance to the barn and the farmer needs to get grain out sometime!

that's all for now

Richard