View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Signs of bad ball joints/struts/bearings/wheel bearings?

Is there a special way to test the ball joints and struts? Is there a way to test the strut top bushings?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that would be useful to know about. I`m also having somethings going on at low speed bumps only, especially at slow turns but mostly when driving through uneven/ bumpy road surfaces. Diagnosis:
A,suddenly some oil visible on/under the front (left side) shock
B,left front clunks and I also hear some metal on metal noise sometimes while driving through bad roads.... that can sound like pennies in a beer can if shaken... OR... like 2 loose metal rings shaken on a metal rod or something similar to that.
C,if I push car down many times, I do hear a click-clunk every single time.
D,there`s no bad noise while turning wheel side to side. (strut bearing ok?)
E,front bushings are in ok condition

How does a very bad ball joint sound or behave? Although I do think it`s my strut that went up to heaven but I was scared to compress these strong King Kong springs with a sh!tty cheap compressor especially with manual tools. (Michaelovitch did it on his Renault smoothly but currently I do not have a great spring compressor. I am also hesitating on what type of struts needed/suggested. I think I have the front springs of the Diesel donor vehicle that was used to build this originally gasser wagon. etc etc)

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.