View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM

Vehicle: 740/745 D24T will be mine again soon
Default Front crankshaft seal details

I replaced the front crankshaft seal this past weekend in an attempt to solve the oil leak and it turns out even though the seal wasn't the correct fit the leak was elsewhere, see the details below. Since I took pictures during the job I'm posting it here since it is something that should be noted.

Per this picture you can see the three different seals I was working with. The two on the right are the same 10mm width, one of them has the rubber coating on the outside of the entire seal. The one on the left is the 8mm deep seal. I don't have a photo of the original thinner stock seal I removed, but it was probably 8mm.

The next two photo's show the two different diameters at the crankshaft nose. The 10mm seal would not seat deep enough to form a tight seal on the outer seal lip. This is just the dust seal but I thought it was causing the leak.

Here's the "tool" I used to install the new seal.

And here's the seal after installation. You can see the outer seal lip is on the thicker diameter portion of the crankshaft. The 10mm seal was still on the small diameter part of the shaft.

1985 Volvo 745 Wagon 2.4TD (sold but still maintain it)
1987 VW Quantum Syncro 2.2 (converting to 2.0TD)
1996 TDI Passat
1997 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5TD
2006 V10 TDI Touareg

Last edited by Nevadan; 04-15-2013 at 09:15 AM.