Thread: Front susp
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Strut tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
The spring compressor worked fine!
I recently ordered Bilstein Touring inserts but I could not wait for it to arrive so I took the strut apart yesterday. Now I know for sure that the leak is from the strut tube...
The upper strut mount&the bearing is in good condition but the gland nut is pretty `old looking`& very rusty. The threads on it look so-so but not 100% great... I had too much clunking/knocking noises for a long time because it somehow became loose. I`m sure it did because last time while I was tightening `it shot itself up`and completely came out of the housing (making it harder* to remove the strut assembly). Threads of housing do not show major wear or damage. That`s the good news but I have to do the job again when new inserts arrive. Temporarily I put the thing back together. I noticed that the gland nut does screw in ALL THE WAY into the strut housing nicely and it looks/feels safe&tight. (threads ok? )
I really do not like to see half of the thread being out of the housing so I tried this. Especially because I know that it came apart by itself once already.

I decided to have it secured all the way into the housing BUT now I have to deal with something: it resulted me an issue that I could not solve right away and I`m asking your opinion on this matter.

There`s a removable spacer under (or IN?) the strut housing tube. I can`t get it back into its position (i think) because of the gland nut being secured all the way in the housing....so now I can`t safely connect the strut with the ball joint... there`s a 5-6 mm gap in between them! (strut tube lower end --- ball joint).

Any idea on what is the spacer really for and how/where to position it? Is it important to have it there or not? I tried to fit it both ways (regular and upside down too) but I just can`t make it fit or if I do, the ball joint can`t be tightly connected which I do not like. Something is wrong for sure (-with me) but i`ll redo both struts anyways. When I had the strut in parts, I just found the spacer on the ground (fell off) so Im not sure how it is positioned. Kill me for this stupid question but IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE *IN* the tube? I`m worse than lazy to remove&see the other strut just to figure this out (because I will have to do it soon anyways).

I am wondering that the `spacer` being out it should give me a lot more gland nut thread engagement... And I would really like that gland nut all the way in! When the new shocks come, I would do the same on the right side as well. Currently half of thread is visible (=out) there too. I feel better if this works out well. Great idea or a big no-no?
PS. Now I have the gland nut all the way in but a gap between the ball joints and the strut housing. If removing the spacer is NOt a great idea, shall I just go ahead and loosen my worn/dangerous gland nut back to gain the 5-6mm back for the spacer to fit in nicely? I`m sorry for thinking loud about it. Please comment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spacer under OR in strut housing tube.jpg (51.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20130529_215159[1].jpg (93.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg stupidity is not funny but dangerous.jpg (96.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-30-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added a question