Thread: Brake check-up
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Effective brakes

I do engine brake a lot. Although occasionally I noticed that the car is not running on a perfectly straight line on a completely flat road so I started checking basic things like proper tire inflation pressures, wheel weights in place, front end bushings etc but I had to realize it has something to do with brakes as it happened mostly when I hit the brakes. It felt like the car was slowing down more effectively&quicker on the left side (felt on steering wheel) but then not adjusting back to normal so basically staying activated. I also checked brake fluid level, calipers for leaks. I thought it would be the rear left that causes it and voila I found a caliper that had its piston fairly stuck and unevenly worn brake pads in it. One of them almost completely gone. Since I wasn`t ready to see such a worn pad, I did not have spare ones so it got reused for now, put it back...The rear R side had a caliper pin dislocated (almost lost) which also acted crazy a couple of times. Now this issue seems to be over: no noises, no drag; there`s a nice balance and stability as I`m slowing down.

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-08-2013 at 09:01 AM.