Thread: water pump
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Am I right in remembering seeing somewhere in a Volvo spec to replace the WP O-ring if changing a belt on a car with more than 75k miles, to avoid future leaks? But I don't think there was any further comment than that on the lifespan of the pump itself.

Would be interesting to see what the spec is for WP interval on similar engines, the Audi gas and diesel 5cyl types, Porsche 924 4cyl type, etc.

Volvo seems like it was very adventurous in its service interval recommedations on the D24/T -- I think because it was trying to advertise much lower maintenance cost alternative as a major selling point of the diesel option vs the gas engines -- with ideas such as the 7500 mile oil change interval (with oil filter recommended only every other time, LOL), which was revised down to 5k miles later, and the 75,000 mile timing belt interval, despite VW/Audi recommending shorter OCI and a 60k timing belt lifespan for literally the exact same belt parts. Maybe if VW/Audi had a water pump recommended interval, Volvo chose not to publish it.

Regardless does seem like hard to justify not replacing it at the belt interval, given the inconvenience as noted of having to replace it independently later, and of course also the risk to the timing belt if the pump bearing failed mechanically.