Thread: Red wagon build
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Some finishing touches.

Cluster parts swapping, necessary to get diesel tach, glow plug light, voltmeter, boost gauge, and correct original speedo all into the same cluster and everything working and reading as it should.

Re-pinning a harness connector at the cluster to add an additional terminal for lighting up the glow plug light, which the gasser cluster harness did not have (adding orange on far left).

Success (in a picture taken a few miles further down the road):

Now that it all works pretty nicely, time to give some cosmetic attention to the well-used interior. The tired houndstooth seats are to be swapped for clean black leather chairs and fresh black carpet.

Ratty old carpets bear witness to the 400,000+ miles.

After some deep cleaning and with a new set of rugs in place.

Seats in, much better!

Engine bay with the diesel adaptations all done and gasser bits eliminated.

And, finally, a foglight to replace the missing one, various new lights and lenses, the right 740 Draco wheels, and a trip to the carwash.

This car fulfilled its role as a long-distance travel machine and proved to be remarkably trouble-free... I put 13,000 miles on in the space of 4 months over the summer, without a single hiccup, including putting on 6,000 miles in the space of 3 weeks in July looping thru southern CA and Nevada and Colorado. I sold it in September to a new owner who was enthusiastically looking for a good TD wagon, of the cars I had, I was most confident that this one would serve him well. I miss it, but the new owner is very happy and will give it plenty of love, and my other diesels needed attention more than this one did! Ultimately it ended up staying stock, never did end up trying out my VNT turbo on it, but maybe sometime in the future.... Hopefully at some point the new owner will join here and post some pictures of his own.

Some of my last travel pictures, taken on the way home from that trip at a stop near Goldendale, WA above the banks of the Columbia River. Next to the car is our state's unique replica of Stonehenge. Nice spot.

Enjoy!

Last edited by v8volvo; 12-07-2012 at 02:05 PM.