View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Default have a short one I borrowed from a VW dieselhead friend-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
A holder designed to work on the 1.6 can be used on a D24T, but the longer Volvo one is better because you don't have to remove the vacuum pump to use it (the extra length extends the dial indicator far enough forward that they don't interfere with each other). If you already have a holder for a 1.6 you can use that, but if you are going to buy a new holder anyway, I would try to get the longer one since it really is much easier to use. Removing the vac pump isn't a horrible chore but it's extra work, it is messy and oily and always gets motor oil dumped on the heater hoses below, and you risk the vac pump drive plunger escaping and then you have to take extra time and care to make sure you don't re-install it facing the wrong way (which can wreck the camshaft)... plus you may disturb the seal and then have to deal with replacing that.

The long one should not be too hard to find, since it was used on 2.0L Audis as well (they have the same setup as a D24/T). You might try calling Baum Tools in Florida, they are a VW tool supplier and I'm sure they will be able to sell you the longer tool for a good price. Just tell then you need one for an Audi and they will know what you're talking about.
And it works just fine with the pump in place. All I did was loosen the clamp holding the dial indicator to the shaft that screws in, and let the indicator rotate freely as I screwed the shaft in. When I had the indicator shaft seated properly, I adjusted the position so the indicator was reading properly, and tightened it down. Did have to bend over a bit to read the dial, as it was a bit past vertical, but that was not a problem for me. Did not have to remove the vac pump at all. And did not have to buy an $60 dollar indicator. (You'd never know my ancestors were Scottish, would you?)