View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Sounds like the P/S pump mounting bushings are just getting worn. Easy to replace! Just don't remove the alternator bracket from the engine, as it is tricky to reinstall correctly.... removing the alternator from the bracket while leaving the bracket attached to the engine still leaves plenty of room to change the bushings.

The fluid leak is probably a separate issue, very often on these old power steering pumps the main O-ring that seals the pump housing to the reservoir gets tired and starts to leak after a while. Fortunately it is quite easy to get parts to fix it since the pump is made by GM (Saginaw) and is shared with many GM vehicles from the '70s and '80s, hence extremely common.... CarQuest sells a pump rebuild kit for under $20 that is applicable for the D24 power steering pump, part # 35039, and replacing the seals is relatively easy especially if you already are going to have the pump removed to replace the mount bushings.

Only tricky part really is dealing with the fluid mess (I usually use a fluid extractor to suck most of it out before disconnecting the hoses), and then getting the pump apart from the reservoir, you have to be sure to get all the bolts out and *also* the fitting that the pressure hose screws into, which doubles as a retaining nut for the reservoir.... once the two halves are separated it's just changing the O-rings and putting it back together. The kit comes with pump shaft bushings, etc as well but the pumps themselves seem to never have any issues at all, only the leaky seals so I have never used the bushings, I just clean it up, reseal it and all is fine. There's the one main O-ring and a few smaller ones around the bolts and pressure fitting, that's it. You could do it or virtually any good Volvo repair shop should be able to as well.

Last edited by v8volvo; 02-18-2013 at 10:56 AM.