View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

D24TIC is Volvo's designation so that would be the one that should matter, no?

D24T motors in US Volvos are stamped "DV" on the block below the vacuum pump, and through mid-1984 they also have "D24" or "D24T" stamped in the horizontal surface at the left-front of the cyl head. However, Volvo's service literature never makes any mention of that two-letter VAG code. DN likely designates it in VAG's internal classification as being a motor manufactured for sale to Volvo, but since that's not part of Volvo's identification system, I doubt there's any kind of documentation anywhere that could tie the "DN" code to a particular car - it probably only indicates that VW built it for the Volvo application, and I imagine it does not give any detail as to what happened to it after that. I think all the service and parts literature for motors used in Volvos classifies by Volvo's code, rather than the VW codes, which might be why the DN code doesn't appear anywhere. (FWIW the Pinz "NY" code also is not mentioned in any literature anywhere...)

The product plate above the RH headlamp gives some more detail as to what components the car was built with, but to my knowledge Volvos don't have a "build sheet" that identifies serial numbers of individual components, at least if they do I would not know where to find it.

Does BiH keep a registry of engine and chassis numbers? I think the D24TIC stamping in the block would be enough to establish that it is at least supposed to be a Volvo motor -- the Volvo service literature should be able to prove that. What other information are you being asked to provide?