View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
My suspicions were that the kit wasn't correct, but I wasn't positive.

Is there a specific size range for the shims that I should keep my eye out for? There are several kits on ebay that have different size shim ranges. I'm a bit like Imwatbullrun in that I like to have what I need on hand even if I might not need it for quite a while, so I may just buy myself a kit if I find one.
When I adjust the valves on higher-mileage engines I always find myself using the thinner shims. In fact several times I have run out of the thinner sizes in my shim kit and had to get more since the thinner ones are just about all I end up using. Usually, if it has been a long time since the valves were last adjusted and the head has never been rebuilt, you will be taking out shims that are in the 3.55-3.80 range and putting in shims that are more in the 3.25-3.65 range.

If you are getting a kit I would make sure you have at least 2 or 3 of every size between 3.25 and 3.75 for your older engine. You will not need anything above 3.80 unless you are building a fresh head.

Remember that if you don't have exactly the right shim, or your measurements are right between two shim thickness increments, always err on the looser side (i.e. a thinner shim). A little too loose is better than a little too tight.