View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
That's good news, sounds like there might be some more things to take care of if your still getting smoke upon hard acceleration. A slight haze is fine and helps the turbo spool up faster. I have done the governor mod, it was a nice easy mod that helped raise the power band. These engines do produce there power up top, it's the way it was designed, to have similar chartaristics as a gas engine. You can't get much power below 2000 rpm, I think peak torque is at 2800 rpm on these. The NA intake seems to help with the lower end.
If I pin it in first without easing on the throttle for first few moments, I'll leave a pretty healthy cloud, but that seems to be the worst of it. I believe I backed off on the LDA as much as possible but I will re-investigate. Going more than a third throttle or so in 2nd and 3rd below 2k (especially when cold) will also leave some light grey haze behind me. My eventual goal is to have it be smoke free, but I'm satisfied by the improvement for now. First gear smoke is annoying as I live in a hilly area and getting moving from a light inevitably leaves some haze behind me. Ideally I would like to be able to drive it without having to compromise power for smoke in some situations.