Thread: D24T bad sounds
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Probably& hopefully it is a failed "GTD" 170bar injector...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
I'd say it could be a crapped out injector, or pump timing may have slipped.
Injector knock is loud, it sounds terminal, Didn't you use some form of epoxy after fixing a leak off pipe? Maybe that has gone into the injector bore.
I fixed inj #5 with jb weld and that injector seems to work o.k. now, unless injector #5's return line had sent poop towards injector #6 where it lodged BUT I DOUBT THAT.

I'm hoping it will be something that's relatively easy to fix and nothing major!
Yesterday night I grabbed some basic tools (to work on injectors and check/adjust injection pump) and went back to the car. I got there around midnight...but decided to make some noise! (And stinky smoke!!)

It started up beautifully and there were no knocking/slapping sounds at idle, no air visible in the fuel lines. Though it smoked hazy and smelly, it kept running well. As I raised RPM to about 900 and up, the very disturbing knocking returned.

I first checked on injector #5 (the one I had to JB-weld recently due to a loose injector nipple) but it seemed like #5 was not the problematic cylinder/injector.
Then I loosened the hard fuel lines on the injectors, one by one, one at a time, from the front of the engine to the rear (#1 to #6) to see if the knocking disappeared.

Doing so at cyl #6, the noise smoothens then disappears.
There is a video showing that.
Bad injector?!? Obstruction?
Now I wonder why it failed (if). Idk How it failed. Was it dirt that somehow made its way in... or is it something wrong within the injector itself?!?

They are relatively brand new gtd injectors that i bought new (few months ago) and they have less than 2000miles in them now. Car ran good on them, immediately after installation the Volvo ran smoother and more powerful than before. And much quieter too.

I'll go back again today, to get #6 injector out and put in one of the stock (used) injectors I kept (same car used them for more than 5yrs without issues but they were getting just a little worn and "smokey" )
Or is it a bad idea to use a single one of the 155bar factory setup stock injector (with 5 other injectors that are gtd currently)??

I am planning to get the car home on its on feet today, drive it home on 5 good gtd+1bad gtd injectors... or 5 good gtd+1 used good stock injector....or 6 used stock injectors.....

I perhaps will get there pretty late (dark) so i dont feel like doing the full-set injector job out there. Also maybe it isnt a good idea to disassemble the problematic injector without making sure it stays as clean as possible.
I didn't plan reusing my old injectors although car ran absolutely reliable at the time when they were installed.

If I decide to keep the 5 working gtd injectors in, I dont know whether or not i will be able to locate and buy another single gtd 170bar new injector to match the "set of the 5leftover gtds". (Anders maybe you could check if I can buy another one? Thx)

My other question is...related to vacuum pump.
If i would find it being a problem (in the future),
-can i use a d24 V.Pump on my d24t engine? Are all years identical?
-in case I can use the nonturbo v.pump on my d24t, shall i use it with the d24t plunger or shall i stick with the nonturbo vac.pump And its own plunger?

https://youtu.be/FsevZfFk5nw

Extra question: can a very tight intake valve make that sound? Can it do it out of the blue? I dont think so.
But i had the valve adjustment done last year and I was absolutely amazed that only 1 clearance was out of spec (after 5yrs of driving). It was the intake on cylinder #6. I left it alone bc it was 0.18 but today i finally ordered the proper 3.35 shim that will correct the clearance to 0.23.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-08-06-16-22-16.jpg (9.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-06-2018 at 12:25 PM.