Thread: D24T bad sounds
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default D24T bad sounds

Today I drove my good running d24t car to the beach, 55miles without issues. 3hrs later when i started it up, i noticed something was wrong. I heard sounds.

Please help me figure it out. What is it???
I uploaded 4 videos too.

FACTS:
Car ran amazing and there were no signs of any trouble developing. No recent issues and no recent fixes.no recent changes. no recent repairs.

There is no engine oil loss.
There was and there is no overheating. (I know bc I had to gently drive 30mins to a friend's house to drop the car..97F outside today...)
No coolant loss
No oil in water, no water visible in oil.

Car smokes at idle now (didnt smoke before... unless floored) and now the smoke is there... not blue not black...it is a little hazy ,light grey-ish,
Not exactly white. It doesnt smell sweet (coolant) either. Smells unpleasant though.

The sound is similar to knocking. It is hard to describe it.
It isnt there when car is at idle. At around 900-1000rpm it can be heard AND IT GRADUALLY INCREASES *WITH THE RPMS*.

There is no hard starting.
There is no visible leaks of oil or fuel.
The turbo was spooling fine in the morning when i drove the 55miles.

Idk about it now bc i didnt want to torture the car with revs...drove gently to friends house and dropped it on their driveway in LI.

I cant see anything mechanical making the noise.(no fan blade hitting anything etc.
I think it is internal....dont forget that it smokes now!

How can timing go that retard (or advanced??) without any signs?

More facts:
Belts look ok but that is obvious bc i made it 30minutes away on the highway at 35-40mph in 5th gear with very low rpms.

Extra facts: my turbo spooled too early and too high for a few months bc of air leak in injector #5 always got in the fuel system (inj pump).
A couple of days ago i sealed the inj return line (loose nipple) at injector #5 and right after that my turbo action went back to normal (and car felt so much better)

Can it be my turbo bullshitting me now?
Idk.
Im thinking of the valces too.
And that my timing got way off for some reason.

(BUT...SIDENOTE: NEVER ADJUSTED PUMP FOR 7YRS AND CAR RAN ALWAYS PERFECTLY)
WHY would the timing go that bad so suddenly?

Can it be the hg going?
No idea yet. Im missing the point bc of stress and 96F in nyc.

All ideas are very appreciated.

I feel sounds are coming from under the valve cover but not so sure yet. Oil looks okay and water looks okay. Im planning to return today to check pump timing.

Bad injector??????? Timing?? Hg? What is it going on?
Actually idk if all cyls are running. Maybe that #5 clogged or needs a good bleeding? I have no idea..i just left the car there for now...decided to wait for forum responses first. Someone suggested checking on the vac pump pin too.
The sound is bad..it "rocks" like car was fully cold and way too advanced. But i havent touched the ip in long years and car ran fine!!! Im not sure at this point that it runs on all cylinders.

How does this sound to you??

Here's videos.
Thank you for all advice and help.
������

Last edited by RedArrow; 08-05-2018 at 02:06 PM.