Thread: IP air leak
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 AM

Question IP air leak

Hi All,

Just recently, my IP has started letting air into the system - but only when the engine isn't running!

I've had the shaft seal go a couple of years ago and that just caused it to suck air all the time - you pretty much couldn't run the engine at all.

The current symptoms are that after stopping the engine, you can see the fuel drain back down the clear tube to the filter and actually hear the air getting drawn in at the pump!

The battery's taking a bit of a hammering and it runs rough for the first 2-3 seconds but apart from that, once it's away, there is no sign whatsoever of air ingress. You can keep your toe in the carpet as long as you like and it won't draw air...

Before I go pulling the pump again to do the shaft seal, has anyone known the cut-off solenoid to leak air in? I'm wondering if it only leaks in the de-energised position and that's why it runs ok once started.

It'd be really nice if a new solenoid sorted it as I was hoping to get more than 20,000 miles out of the seal!

There's no sign of fuel getting out at all and the spill pipes and return hoses are in good shape.

If I do have to get the shaft seal done, my local shop says there is now a double-lipped version for this pump aimed at making the seal last longer I presume - anyone heard of this?

If anyone has any other ideas as to a possible cause of the problem, please let me know...

It's gonna have to manage until after xmas for financial reasons and the battery seems to be holding up for now but I don't really like the idea of the pump not being full of fuel while it's stopped and, if it is the shaft seal, I daresay it'll get worse and quit on me altogether, like it did before!

Boots.