View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 85 745 D24T

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Nice, looks like some fun work ahead. That is some serious rust.

Planning to put the good parts in the '85 and get it on the road, or use the gas wagon's shell?

Looking forward to seeing where it goes. Sounds like the ball is rolling.
Yeah, the rust is even worse than what I thought it would be. I knew I would need the '89 turbo wagon either for parts or as a replacement body all together, it looks like thats the direction Ill be going, especially after getting the '85 on the lift and checking out the underside.

Glamour shot

Either way, it will be a mixing and matching of all the cars to make one solid car. Ill probably end up using the shell from the '89, but the interior in the '85 is much better.

The '85 is the only one with an alloy hood so that will get swapped over. I was contemplating using the '85 liftgate as well since its the only year not to have the center brake light, but I think safety is going to overrule style in this case, but I will definitely be putting the '85 gate into storage.

I've been a little busy lately so this project hasn't gotten off the ground yet, but in the meantime I have been gathering parts. I have all new lenses for the front and rear, picked up a new grill, crossbar and emblem, I also found a beautiful set of headlight bezels.... been keeping USPS, UPS and FedEx busy the last couple of months.

I also got the '85 up and running a couple weeks ago too, once I installed a new starter, it fired up on first crank even after sitting for 9 years.
1985 Volvo 745 GLE Turbo Diesel

I am hoping by next month I'll find the time to dig into this project and possibly have something rolling around Christmas. The only other thing I've been contemplating is using a Borg Warner T56 trans over the M46, if I can find (or if I already have) a 4.10 rear diff, the T56 would really work well. I know the T5 has been swapped in, so I'm curious what additional work it would take to make a T56 happen

1985 745 GLE D24T ZF22 || 1983 760 GLE D24T M46 (Parts Car) || 1989 745 Turbo B230FT AW71 (Parts Car)
1993 GMC Typhoon #0180 || 1993 GMC Typhoon #1579 || 1992 GMC Typhoon #1068
2007 Chevy Trailblazer 3SS || 2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 || 1952 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Photobucket | Fuelly | YouTube