View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Cheers! Sounds like a very healthy engine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blix99 View Post
What I will say to anyone who might stumble across this thread. Static timing of the Injection pump without a gauge is more or less impossible.
Turning the flywheel through the access slot under the IP, even just a fraction of mm had a huge effect on the reading of the gauge, which had a tolerance of + or - 0.02mm, which is pretty small by anyone's calculations.

I had to adjust several times to get the setting right. It looked OK a few times but when i rotated the engine and came back to TDC, it wasn't quite correct, probably due to tension in the IP. Once it was right, I rotated the crank by hand a couple of times with the gauge still in to check that it came back to 0.80 at TDC.

The only way you'd reach a proper setting without a gauge, as far as i can see, if via pure chance.
Those are very good points, thanks for emphasizing them. Your last reflection in particular is one that is helpful for folks to see, and IMO completely true.

Unfortunately it does occur every now and then that someone happens to land on a functional timing setting by pure chance, without using precision tools or methods -- except they don't realize that they succeeded only due to blind luck, and instead convince themselves they have cleverly found a shortcut around doing the job correctly. Then they preach their "clever" method to everyone who will listen, and cause anyone who hears it confusion and trouble!

We had a case of this here on the forum just earlier this week, in another thread, with a member describing an encounter with someone who advised them that there is no need whatsoever for special tools to set timing. Fortunately that member asked first whether that was valid advice, rather than just taking it and suffering the consequences, as many do.

Anyway, successful outcomes like this one are very helpful in letting folks who are in doubt see the benefit of having the full information provided by the proper methods and equipment. Thanks for reporting the experience.

Would be fun to see more info and photos of your van, we never had those here so it's always interesting to see one of these engines in a different installation.