View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 11:06 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blix99 View Post
...but thought that setting the marks up might be enough to tell me if timing was the main problem.
Sometimes can get one running but lining up the notches to the marks is just a gross approximation. ALSO, you can have all the notches lined up at TDC, but the wrong TDC (crankshaft rotates twice to each IP rotation). Could you have inadvertently rotated the crank once while the IP was disconnected?

Quote:
I'm not sure how critical even half a mm could be or if the margins are wider than this and it's something else?
If you are describing mm viewing at the notches, yes, half a mm visible change there equates to a larger change at the gauge, but yet, seems like it should be close enough to start, if all else is viable.

Quote:
I've checked that each injector has fuel by cracking open each injector line on top and all seems OK. Cutoff solenoid seems fine (and pretty new). I've replaced all of the return pipes on the injectors. All this was done before the shaft seal change and it ran OK but with excess air drawing in.
So after replacing the seal, you didn't test for fuel (no foam or bubbles) spurting out the end of the injector hardlines?

Quote:
What I mean is, if timing is out by an imperceptible fraction, could this be the issue?
It can be, for some.

Quote:
What I might try, just as a quick test, is to advance and then retard the IP timing slightly to see it the symptoms change.
Probably worth a shot. Are the GPs functioning? Be careful about straining the injector hardlines if you are going to be rotating the IP. The preferred method is to rotate the camshaft rear cam on the camshaft, but this is only recommended if you have the gauge setup and a cam sprocket counterhold tool.