View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Thumbs up M46 joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
When my overdrive was cutting out over bumps in the road, reflowing the solder in the relay did the trick.

The switch is probably something you can get from IPD.

EDIT: Yep, here: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6138/...witch-m46-1981
A few months ago I wasn`t able to drive in 5th. Yes, I also started with resoldering the relay (but od issues were still present so) after that I replaced some wiring, connectors mainly in and around the shifter (found cracked wires and half-`burnt` connector plugs) Those being fixed it is perfect now 99% of the time. (if not: then in 4th position pushing the shifter towards the right gets me the 5th, my 240 liked playing that)

Thanks for the ipd link. I might need this 4th gear contact switch instead http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volv...ission-1324496 I just wasn`t sure how easy (or not) it is to put the new one in. I can`t drop the tranny now while parked on the street (garage is taken by hoarder landlord until Sept)
The 5th gear button on shifter has been `fully refurbished` recently Pilots use such a thing. (and I do have a sunroof) So Red Arrow got some red.

PS how about that previously mentioned spring in shifter? I can`t find it for sale anywhere... (BUT what I found today is a white `90something grey leather inside 940 AT sedan for $300 at a NJ junkyard, nice condition even inside, NothinG missing! >YET< and running smoothly)...
I am wondering why not a diesel in such a great condition!? We all wish the smoky tanks were much more common in the usa, right?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shifter knob catapult.jpg (77.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20130704_182853[1].jpg (89.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20130630_211132[1].jpg (97.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg wicked 6 eyed machine.jpg (87.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg red tank front view.jpg (83.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-31-2013 at 09:34 PM.