View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecklebone View Post
Hi all,

I recently bought a 1987 Pinzgauer 718, pictures are in my profile. It is one of 15 that were used by Delta Force is Desert Storm.
When the main fuel screw is adjusted for setting the baseline fuel there are three three responses: 1) no smoke, low idle, no throttle response. 2) a small band of tons of power and quick throttle response, but lots of smoke. 3) Too much fuel to run smoothly.

I have played with the LDA, and it works fine. I have the pin rotated to minimum fuel, the top screw is all the way up. But, I am at the stage of not getting to boost tuning yet. Seems I should have the baseline fuel sorted first...so I disconnect the LDA and plug the manifold

At altitude or coasting down from the mountains the engine blows a lot of white smoke and the engine temp drops to the minimum on the gauge. I have a hot thermostat in there.

Is this behavior normal for the D24TIC?
Am I really stuck at a very fine point of smoke/power trade off with the main fuel adjustment, where I can't get reasonable power and I still have smoke?

BTW, I am not expecting the truck to move fast, it is 6,200 pounds empty and has six wheels, each with with a gear reduction. I would like to be able to get to 100 km/h within a 3 minutes and be able to drive it at altitude.

Would pictures of the engine help at all?

Cheers,
rob.
You have the basis for an epic project! I'm jealous.
Without boost enrichment, you will either have abysmal power , or blow black, just like if you had an NA pump. On the lean side of the boost pin, it will be the same, but less so. i'm on the most aggressive slope, with the spring soft, and it still barely smokes at sea level.

Here is my EGT tap. If you have EGR, it will look different, you cold replace the EGR with a blanking plate, and tap that.