View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Expansion tank modifications: COOLANT LEVEL sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1966 View Post
Ok I am convinced that my glow plugs not working than now working all of a sudden has a lot to do with the coolant ... I will keep an eye the coolant level.
ALWAYS DO. Wouldn`t it be very nice to know about our coolant level *while driving*?! I heard that 850s have a coolant level sensor. That would be a great thing to somehow adopt for our diesels.
On a bad day @Togwotee Pass, Wyoming (-13C=8.6F luckily very cold; Elevation: 9,659' =2,944 m), I quickly lost a Gallon (~4Liter) of coolant thanks to the cap of the expansion tank: it was not tightened enough. Having a coolant level sensor wouldn`t let that dangerous thing happen. I mean, it would have alerted me much earlier in a critical situation like that. There is probably some kind of compensator built into the temp gauge too because the 740`s coolant temp gauge is somewhat `slow` ... so by the time I got the news, the car was already overheating unfortunately. Me too! I`d love the idea of some type of level sensors. Till then, keep all your eyes & 6th sense strictly on your slow-motion (then `jumping`) coolant temp gauge.

Last edited by RedArrow; 03-18-2013 at 08:13 PM.