View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 04:38 PM

ok... so I finally got around to finishing this thing. I built my own cam holder... aligned the crank to TDC, bolted the head on at 80ftlbs per bolt, set the injector pump where I thought it should be... and nothing worked...

good thing is I didnt smash the valves "woot" I tried mercilessly for the next 4 hours; setting the timing advanced, retarted, and so on... till I finally got it to sputter to life... but thats about all it did, smoke a little run really rough and thats all...

next day "sunday" I woke up with a genius idea of using a pair of calipers poked into the hole in the center of the injector pump to make for sure its on time... this worked! I had to hold them REALLY still and got it set to .039 with the advance cable slack.

even with the timing set it runs kinda rough at idle... im thinking its still off =(

also, something I noticed: before I took the front cam gear off originally, I sharpened a punch to a point and put a dent between the cam and pulley for alignment reasons..... however when I have the cam locked with the plate, and the crank at tdc... the notches dont line up... but only by like .075... im thinking the factory did this?

long story short, it works, but it needs a gasket between the turbo and the flange... its leaks pretty bad under load lol.