View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:47 AM

Default More IP timing questions

Forgive me if I sound ignorant here; I have a fair bit of experience with gas engines but this is my first diesel and I want to make sure I do this properly. I'm replacing my timing belts and am now at the stage of setting the injection pump timing.

I have disconnected the cold start device.

I have the dial indicator and long stand for it, and they are threaded into the pump. I'm following the green book instructions, but per popular advice on here am not moving the pump on its bracket; I was planning on just setting the timing by moving the sprocket on the back of the engine.

The confusing part is, where exactly do I set the dial indicator to 0? The pump sprocket does not move smoothly as I expected, it's more notchy and seems to want to go to certain points but not others. I can't seem to get it to stop with the notches all lined up, which is, I think, where I should be setting the indicator to 0. I'm getting a little frustrated, because I know that if I don't do this right, the thing won't start or run well.

Am I correct in thinking that I can hold the sprocket so that all the notches are lined up, set my indicator to 0, and go from there? I have the VW lock tool which will not fit into the pump because the firewall is too close.