View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
Gearwrenches? Yes, both floppy and straight, and a harbor freight stubby.
You're saying you have been able to get the box ends of those wrenches down over the bolt heads on the upper two bolts behind the pump? I don't think I have ever been able to fit them in there. I guess even if I did, I would be worried about winding the bolt out far enough that it trapped the wrench since the ratchet goes only one way. (On my set anyway, maybe you have the type with two-directional ratchet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
How do you get the pulley off? pry equally from 2-3 sides(wide screwdriver or wood chisel), brass hammer. apply pressure, then tap to release taper bond.
If you pry from only one side, it will be ruined. I think you could get the TDI style cam pulley puller in there if you really wanted to.
I have only ever had the guts to do the screwdriver method on a pump that I knew I wasn't planning to use again. I don't think that little thrust flange on the driveshaft was really designed with the idea of handling that kind of force, though I guess I have never heard of one that broke so maybe I'm just overcautious...

Unfortunately the TDI puller doesn't even come close (3 jaw ALH style is all wrong and 2 jaw AHU/1Z type has pegs that are too fat and spaced too far apart) -- you can believe that I tried both, as well as a couple other options, before I spent the money on the Volvo tool. Problem is getting something slim enough to fit between pump gear and firewall -- on almost everything, even if you can get one with jaws sized and spaced right, the head of the forcing screw runs into the firewall. I think it would not be too difficult to modify another puller to work, but it is a pretty specialized application and I don't think it would be easy to find something that would do the job right off the shelf, other than the OE 9995204.