View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
My technique on the timing was set the motor at TDC,so I can get the lock pin in,then clip the belt to both pulleys, then remove the pump pulley. It's keyed and only goes on one way. with the pump pulley off, you could then remove the pump without moving the bracket. the pin has enough slop, I do't think taking the bracket off will help anything, a pencil mark will do fine.
I guess I have the right wrenches, because I seem to take the bracket off about half the time anyway.
Yeah, getting the pump and bracket off certainly is not impossible, just irritating since there's a lot of stuff for your wrench to run into... I also have never met one that couldn't be removed, but I got tired enough of fighting that battle that I finally got the skinny puller tool for yanking the sprocket off with pump in car.

I think the part that sucks isn't so much getting the pump off, but getting it back on the motor with it still mounted to bracket -- trying to get the two upper bolts started with the pump body right in the way, and then you have to go thru the whole belt tension routine which takes a few tries unless you get really lucky. I much prefer pulling pump on its own then being able to just drop it back in and have everything go back the way it was before... (edit: saves having to mess with the glow plug buss too!)

Slightly different tension wouldn't appreciably affect timing -- I think I experimented with it once and loosening belt meant slightly more advance, tightening a little less advance, but the differences were minute, ~.01mm or thereabouts.

Last edited by v8volvo; 11-13-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: gp's