View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Ya that sounds pretty pricey... Was the head gasket blown the second time you took it apart when overheating at highway speeds? I too would just buy a used head, and have it rebuilt. Hell ship it to me and I can go through it for you if you cant find someone local. I cant see any reason there would be a block or piston problem unless the valves hit the pistons or something. Also have your radiator cleaned out, and make sure your car has a good water pump with the cast type impeller, not the stamped steel one. Is there any rust build up in the block coolant passages you can see?

Jason
jason, i'd much rather ship it to you than roll the dice on someone here locally with whom i've no references and thus no reason to trust they know/care what they're doing. however, not sure i can foot the bill to get the car to you + parts + labor. and while i understand you're simply offering to have a look at the head to ensure it's in sufficient condition to use it for the rebuild (btw, thanks, that's very kind of you), what i really need is someone like yourself who can check all facets of the build--e.g., water pump, rust in coolant passages of the block, pistons at TDC, etc. shipping quote to get the car to st. louis (63101) is appprox. $650, which isn't itself prohibitive, but that's just to get the car to you.

in your estimation, assuming no damage to the block, replacing the water pump, cleaning out the radiator, reconditioned head, new valves, springs, buckets, etc.....what should expect to pay for a quality job??????????