View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
After I resoldered my OD relay a few days ago...Attachment 51
I had to do this also.

Symptom: Could not engage OD. No response from pressing OD button driving in 4th gear.

Removed switch button, cleaned contacts, continuity testing showed better switch operation but still no OD. BTW, can test circuitry (engine off) via key in run position (disconnect GP relay ground terminal wire to avoid burning out the GPs), gear selector in 4th. Pressing the OD button should light the green indicator in the instrument panel, and should provide audible solenoid click.

Could get intermittent OD operation by pushing or squeezing the red OD relay on the relay/fuse panel.

Removing the cover of the OD relay (the hardest part of this process), and inspecting with a high-power loupe showed that ALL the soldered connections at circuit board-to-base were suspect. Minute cracking. I could get one to test intermittent continuity when flexing the two pieces.

This is the area on the other side shown in Redarrow's photo, sorry, I didn't get any photos of this.

Resoldered these joints with a 40-watt soldering pencil w/ sharp fine tip, and fine (.032" dia.) solder. Regular soldering gun and normal dia. solder would have been impossible here.

Driveway test showed consistent OD operation. Test drive today.