View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 PM

hm..well I don't remember seeing it, just the shutoff.

Sorry for the fragmented reply.

Will see if I can score some of the special tools to work on this thing properly. It's my second car, wish it towed a little better, I'd use it as the primary car. I don't like 7 series cars, they tow ok and I've had a few, but they aren't my thing, and drive terribly in snow, hate the interior and electrical, cargo compartment not the right shape for carrying tools around. Sedans are worthless to me. 245 isn't quite safe/big enough to comfortably tow another car with regularly in some traffic/varied road conditions. Don't want to buy a pick-up truck with big expensive tires, PITA to park, no fun in the rainy climate, don't care about going off road either. So 265 diesel and short van it is.

Wish mine was just a white, no roof rack '83 DL, but Diesels were GL models up to sometime 1984.

Qualitatively, how "quiet" should one run? This one doesn't sound like a bag of rocks, but it certainly is a far far cry from a perfect mercedes OM603 running really good fuel on a fresh set of Monark nozzles. Maybe a little loud, petty snappy. Has good service records, and it actually has ~200K mi on it.

Are these "made in France" "Monark" nozzles still available?
http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=103...onarch+nozzles

Sounds about like most healthy freshened up Rabbit/Jetta diesels I've seen really carefully freshened or some with under 30K on them from my memory (my memory is getting dim), just more of it (6 holes).

Sounded terrible pulling the cold start lever forward, like...alarming.

Last edited by Fridgewagon; 11-22-2014 at 11:01 PM.