View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 08:43 AM

Default Hello from the UK

Hi! I'm Matt from North east England

I recently bought an '87 Volvo 760 Turbo diesel off a friend of mine. Its a d24tic, It had been overheated and I presumed it needed a headgasket and all would be well.

Now I've started looking into it, it's not such a simple task. Also it may not be the headgasket? i'm not sure.

The engine starts ok but quickly starts building revs and P or N and holding it in D on the brakes is the only way to allow the engine to run. Turns off fine with the key so that makes me think that its not just drinking oil. The turbo seals aren't great but I've run the car without the intercooler pipes attached and the problem is still there. It smokes loads, mainly black even at idle so seems like its just getting way too much fuel.

The previous owner did tinker with the pump and boost pressure but I just want it to work at standard power, maybe a different turbo for less lag, maybe other such efficiency based modifications later on. I have a 740 turbo if i'm in a hurry I have a 'spacer'? little nylon/plastic ring that is apparently out the pump and is now a keyring.

I'm hoping to get it sorted and back on the road by September. I'm handy with spanners but this is my first diesel. Looking forwards to learning all about the engines and pumps. Was recommended here by a very helpful instagrammer

Cheers,
Matt