View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 AM

This topic looks nice to me!
I did enjoy the storys i read here.
So i diceded to contribute some pictures / words of my build.
(sorry for my poor language)

The intercooler you're looking at is from a DAF-truck and shortened at top and bottom to fit into my 245.
Because the in-and-outlet-pipes were far to big i made new ones from 65mm aluminium pipe.
I'am lucky my boss bought a brandnew aluminium-weldingequipement so welded everything togheter....

I'm sorry not to have pictures of the sockets i welded on the in-and-outlet of the IC.
This sockets i used later to fit the temperature-sensors i made for measuring the IC-effect.

Also ordered t-bolt clamps for thight fitting.

When finished, i pressurised the IC with 2 bar to be sure the IC withstands the workingpressure of approx.1 bar.
PLEASE BE CAREFULL, WHEN DOING SO PLACE THE IC AT A SAFE PLACE AND DISTANCE BEFORE PRESSURISING THE IC VIA A LONG HOSE.
SO IF THE IC EXPLODES NOBODY GETS HURT!!!!!

Next part, fitting into the car;

The pic. above shows the turbo i started with, now already replaced by a original D24TIC-turbo;

(Above pics from the new turbo)

As you can see on several pictures, the IC won't fit, so i cut out the front plate and placed the IC...

The piping of the IC circuit; i made it from exhaust-pipe 65mm (also VW, comes from brandnew VW LT's wich are
equiped with loadlift so the last meters of exhaustpipe were getting in the way of the lift)

I made The piping (while i was preparing the swap D24 >> D24TIC , (i used the front of my scrapped '87 245 for that purpose.)

I realise that i don't have a picture of the piping to the inletmanifold.....
I only have a bad picture ,you can see the D24TIC manifold, piping stil not powdercoated.

In the next days i will try to add some pictures from that part.

About the IC-effect on the temperature;
When cruising 120 KM/hour the inlet-temp. at the IC (air coming from turbo) is about 95 Celcius, while the outlet air is doing
37 Celcius. (Temp. outside the car is 25 - 30 C)