Thread: More Power
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The T3/T4 is the way to go, but you need the .48 housing. I wouldn't go with the .63 its a little sluggish below 3000rpm. The .48 will flow plenty for top end, much more than the .36 and especially compaired to the stock .36 which is very restrictive with the waste gate design. Nothing wrong with the T-3 compressor housing, and its not that its inefficient, its just that the T-4 compressor moves more air at a given turbine speed and will do so at a lower charge temp, so why not? If you can find a half blown up T3T4 on ebay or craigslist you can swap the compressor side over to the stock turbo. You will probably have to shave some of the compressor off where the nut seats since the chinese turbo's are all stage 3s and the stocker is a (i think) a stage 2. The shaft is a little shorter but no big deal. Check over at my turbo thread, there are picks of the hybrid I build using the chinese turbo parts and stock center section (so the oil feed and drain would bolt right up). It works great but the ultimate will be the .48 housing. If you watch the videos it spools pretty well with the .63, but it would have a larger power band with the smaller housing without giving up any top end.

Jason
So the stock wastegate is restrictive? Uh oh. The turbine housing I have has pretty much the same design as the stock D24T's. Oh well. You can see some pictures of what I have to work with here: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=66

Also, I have another turbo-related question. Would a blow-off valve do anything on a diesel? I only just recently realized that there was no throttle plate (lol).