View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 01:46 PM

Default Help please! Like buses problems also seem to come along in 3's...

Hi guys,

I think something has gone terribly wrong with the volvo, any help would be much appreciated, here's the back story.

I have a 86 740 wagen and I seem to be getting quite a few issues! Originally I had a smoking issue so took it to the local garage for some diagnosis and apparently the sprocket on the back of the camshaft was loose! So after that was tightened, smoking was a lot better but injectors 2 and 6 could do with a refurb, so I took it away to fix at my leisure...

After driving it back home (around 3 miles) I tried to put it into park (its an auto) and a very loud screeching noise occurred, so I tried to put it into neutral, the same noise happened so I put it back into drive and switched it off with the key.

I then tried to turn her back on, the engine cranks over but I can see the timing belt and ignition pump sprocket are not turning at the same speed - the ip belt is turning maybe 1 revolution to every four of the cambelt and it even rocks back and forward! I took the cam cover off and the cam is not turning at the same speed as the cranking engine but the cam sprocket connected to the cambelt is, so my questions are:-

1. Could it be the cam sprocket bolt is not tight enough so the camshaft is not turning?

2. What damage could have occurred as now the timing is all out of whack (the car has not ran, just cranked over)

3. What could have cause the transmission to make that noise and could it be related to the timing / cam issue

4. How is it possible for the engine to run pretty sweet and then after I stopped it with the key the timing issue arises?

4. Any quick checks I can do before I tow it back to the garage?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Scott