View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Owner/admin

Hello Simon,
This would be my .02 worth of advice, I'm sure others will chime it.

The standard D24 engine is different in a number of ways and not the best choice for adding a turbo+ic setup if you have a D24T engine available. The D24 engine does not have the piston oil squirters, which help cool the pistons. When under boost the engine generates quite a bit more heat and the oil helps carry it away from the pistons and also helps lubrication of the piston skirts. However the main draw back (in my opinion anyway) is the block casting itself. The D24T block was cast with a higher nickle content therefore much stronger. It also wears less because of the harder material. While many have added a turbo to a D24 and had success, the factory turbo engine is a much better setup. Make sure you have an oil cooler hooked up as well. I'm not sure what the factory setup is like with the D24 in the LT truck, but in the Volvo it doesn't have a oil cooler. If you want to run any more than stock boost (around 8psi) than the turbo block is the only way to go. I would doubt the NA engine would hold up very well to much more than stock boost and fueling.

The non turbo pump will work on the turbo engine, you just wont have the LDA (boost referenced housing on top of the pump) to help reduce low speed/low boost smoke. The overall potential output of the pump is the same, but if you have the turbo pump, as with the other parts it would be the better choice rather than the NA pump.

Once you get it swapped in, take a look over in the performance section for lots of info on pump mods, turbo stuff, intercooling options, etc... You will find plenty of engine tech info here!

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!