Thread: m46 vs ZF
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Transmission fluid in m46 manual transmission of the d24t 740

I'm sorry for this off topic question guys.
I have the m46 laycock pushbutton `5speed` in the 740 and I experience similar abnormalities:

sometimes (not always) it is hard(-er than normal) to move shifter into 1st gear. I usually just move it down to 2nd gear then back to 1. Double clutch helps too, I guess.

It did not happen suddenly, it is something that has always been there and not developing into getting worse.

getting into reverse, I can hear a squeak (squeek?) like clutch wasn't good, but it is. Not always but like 1/3 of the time. It is not something that came suddenly either, it was always like that since almost five yrs ago when I got the car.

I was wondering if this can be caused by having lower than suggested level of tranny fluid?
I DO NOT have any tranny leaks at the m46. I will try adjusting and/or lubricating the clutch cable I think. I should have done it much earlier but I learnt to live with this problem. Otherwise the tranny has NO issues in any gear, no leaks, no sounds, no knocks whatsoever.
I`m 100 percent sure that my clutch is ok and I never abuse the car at all.

About the m46 fluid itself.
Is it suggested to bother with it every `x` years; or is it better not to try fixing something that operates okay.
IF I realize that a small amount of fluid is needed, then Is it suggested to simply top it up ONLY,
or is it highly suggested to flush AND fully replace?

People say different things here. Especially those who don't own (or never owned rwd Volvos).

What is the exact product to use when/if m46 transmission fluid top-up / replacement is needed?

Please share your idea about it. It is best to hear it all from the diesel Volvo and volvo people who know it the most.

Thanks for sharing your opinions on this matter.