View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 07:28 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselScout View Post
I think I found some specs on the KS pistons (this example is the "standard" option): https://www.kmotorshop.com/en/articl...103101e-076069

If I am reading this correctly, the height is the same as the green book spec (71.7mm) but the weight of 690g is much heavier than the green book spec of 455-465g.
Is that an acceptable difference? Would it have any noticeable impact on engine performance?
That would be a very large weight difference, enough that I would be concerned if it were really true. However I cannot really see how it could be true. The pistons are the same size/shape/profile and made out of the same material. I don't know how KS could increase the weight by over 50%.

Here is my guess: the greenbook spec is for a bare piston, whereas the info you linked for the KS piston probably includes the piston plus the wristpin (and perhaps the rings and wristpin clips although those don't weigh much). It's probably the weight for the entire little box that they ship you, since all of those parts are included.

A good way to test would be to weigh a factory piston (even a used one) with and without the wrist pin and see if that theory adds up. I have a few kicking around that I could try that with if you don't. Tom probably has plenty as well.