View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Biodegradable parts :) and my biodieseling schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2000t View Post
I'm very suprised your petrol in-tank pump copes with diesel, and especially biodiesel!

That`s thought-provoking, although I haven`t been thinking about it yet.`Knock on wood`, mine is doing great so far. Maybe it won`t last forever but definitely survived the previous 25000 miles. At least those are available for our d24t`s at the boneyards, or new.

My IP struggles to pull my WVO/petrol mix through the lines at higher revs, so I had thought about getting an electric pump - but WVO/biodiesel normally kill most OEM electric diesel lift pumps fairly quickly..let alone one designed for petrol.
I was dieseling a lot on quality B99 straight into the tank, worked perfect, smelled great like a restaurant-on-wheels; but coming Winter last year I went down to B30 and that`s what I continued to use without issues whatsoever. The Bosch diesel filter always looked reusable&clean but I replaced them every time I changed motor oil+filter, every 5000miles. ( http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-44999-Tu...1+turbo+diesel )

On 450< mile trips I put two 5Gallon (usa) tanks of B99 in the trunk. I pour in 3Gallons (3*3.78L) of bio (b99) into the tank @every gas-station fill-up. (12G+3G=15G --> 20%bio = B20 :0)
If needed, the 10Gallons of B99 provides me with 50Gallons of B20. That`s 1500miles worth of fuel without the headaches of finding (reliable!) biodiesel stations.
Recently I got lazy getting the b99 (it`s pretty far from where I live) so I ended up being ``Scottish`` : started adding only 1G of b99 into every fill up, so the mixture is about B5 (or max B10) depending on how low the tank got by the fillup. (Bio content goes up `cause I can`t drive the 15G tank completely dry, of course, and I always start the fillup with my b99 so only the rest can be regular diesel. ) The leftover fuel from the previous tank is not regular diesel either but at least B5 or higher, ...and up

It happened multiple times that I switched between #2 and b99 or b50, back and forth, without sensible or visible trouble but I`m trying to avoid it.
I read it that you run it on 85% alternative fuel. What`s your overall experience, advantages and/or disadvantages?
PS. I love the prancing moose.

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-12-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammar mistakes:)