View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 AM

Vehicle: 740/745 D24T will be mine again soon

I decided to replace the clutch based on a simple test, which now I'm not certain was accurate. I had the car on jack-stands and put it in gear (1st then 2nd then 3rd) then stepped on the brake. The rear wheels stopped but the engine was still turning and there was that "clutch slipping" sound. I repeated the same test after installing the new clutch and the rear wheels still turned, although it took a little more power to do so (Both tests were performed at under 1,500 rpm's). It seems the engine should stall so I'm not sure what I'm overlooking here. I also just wanted to inspect the clutch since the car has 203,000 miles on it and it felt soft when I drove it home.

I need to put in a new clutch cable also since the original doesn't appear to hold correctly. Someone put a small hose clamp on the cable at the base of the adjuster to hold it in place.

I came to the same conclusion on the pilot bearing and put the original one back in after cleaning and greasing it. I'm going to post additional photos on my job following this post. I was able to order a "National" bearing from O'Rielly but it hasn't come in yet. They said it would take 10 days and it was a "factory" order, ie. they had to manufacture the thing. When it arrives I'll compare the two and post here. If it's not the same I'll get one of those on a group buy.
1985 Volvo 745 Wagon 2.4TD (sold but still maintain it)
1987 VW Quantum Syncro 2.2 (converting to 2.0TD)
1996 TDI Passat
1997 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5TD
2006 V10 TDI Touareg