View Single Post
Old 05-16-2023, 11:56 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 245d6 View Post
actual flakes of rust coming off all surfaces when I took out the thermostat and other hoses going to the engine. Tried to get everything out with magnet on a stick but I suspect the whole engine is full of it. Might be a cause for the engine to run a bit hot?
Especially if the radiator small passages are clogged with it.

Quote:
Noticed the engine was running 3/4ths of the temp. gauge most of the time and when going full throttle even past it. Kept speeds down but mostly stayed at 3/4ths, sometimes half when going downhill. It burned quite some oil, 1 liter in 500 km's
Not good to run the engine hot like that. Excessive overheat can also permanently relax piston ring tensions (including oil control rings).

Quote:
On the way back I wanted to check out the top speed because it stopped smoking a lot at 110 km/h and went faster than that. Drove the car until gps said 130 while keeping an eye on the temp gauge. Went up a bit but stayed there mostly, checked my mirrors and saw mostly black smoke behind me, checked temp gauge and it was in the red zone and engine started to make a loud ticking noise. Immediatly put engine off, coasted to the side of the highway and let it cool down. It threw out quite some water through the cap but only when I was stopped. No water trail behind the car.
Usually better not to turn off engine while overheating. Let it run at idle slightly faster until temps come down. Shutting it off when overheated tends to concentrate the heat as there is no longer any coolant circulation.

Quote:
Engine seemed fine, oil wasn't at top mark so refilled again. When starting, glow plug light didn't come on and it needed quite some cranking over to get started. Drove the car home without further problems, no overheating and no loss of coolant. Still, temp meter was a 3/4th.
3/4 on the temp. gauge is overheating!
GP system has a temperature sensor circuit that limits GP energize when the engine is hot (as GP help shouldn't be needed).
Hard starting while hot (no GP) often indicates poor compression.

Quote:
Does coolant cool more than water?
No. Water has higher heat transfer capability.

Quote:
Could I have cooked an injector by overheating the engine? This is the same one that has been a bit leaky / sweaty since the beginning.
Cooked injector more likely from a faulty injector heat shield. General engine overheating usually first attacks the headgasket, warps the cylinder head, melts pistons, scores cylinder walls, weakens piston rings, damages bearings.