Thread: Locking diff
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46
Question Locking diff

Let's talk about options for locking diffs. Anybody running one in their diesel? Talking to dad today, who said there weren't any (or many) factory solid rear axle cars sold with a limited slip, and that the majority of LSD cars were IRS, and have a larger pumpkin which wouldn't fit in 1030/1031 casing (nevermind axle differences). He used to have a detroit locker in his 740t, I still remember how that thing would bang backing up into parking spaces. He said that he had to clutch in around corners etc to keep the back from jumping around. They also aren't particularly cheap (400-500 new). I watched a youtube jeep guy put a lunchbox locker in his front axle (a dana 30 like ours) but I don't know much about this type of diff or how it it with drivability, I think he was mainly off-roading. I'm not so picky about how it behaves, I'd just like to be able to get sideways once in awhile and not have to worry too too much about how I drive it. What would you use?

New car features greenbook for 85 shows that some automatic cars came with a 1041, which looks to be an LSD. Anyone know of this rear end? I'm also not sure how durable the clutch packs are or if replacements are available.