View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Proper glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselScout View Post
It's leaking at the hard line just a few inches before the injector (3, I think?)
I run 10w-30 in the warmer weather and the 5w in the colder weather
Is it fully synthetic? Just being curious about it. (I use Mobile 1, a fully synthetic TURBODIESEL TRUCK 5W40 engine oil at all times. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselScout View Post
Would a bad temperature sensor be the reason why the glow plugs are on for 45s no matter the temp outside?
Mine did the same right after I routinely inspected rear belt&rear coolant hose, while tinkering back there I accidentally removed wire from sensor at the back of the head. It signaled glow system that engine was fully cold so they stayed on for much longer, at every start-up (same with warm engine). It`s a useful trick for starting a d24(t) that does not start when engine is hot (=has low compression). Check that wiring especially if you have contamination near your pump (D fuel eats plastic for breakfast). I do have some old crispy wires here&there also. It must be a Volvo thing.
Also you could connect 1st cyl temp sensor to your glow plug just to see whether the other sensor is still functioning or not.

Last edited by RedArrow; 11-12-2014 at 03:09 PM.