View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 07:54 PM

WOW, 2011? that was a long time ago. LOTS has happened,

my only problem is that when im on the highway (in 100 degree heat) it runs hot, id say the needle sits at about 65-70% on the gauge and it wont come down until I slow down from 65 to about 45-50... I originally pulled the thermostat back in the day so the cooling system is running WIDE OPEN, I blocked off the cold start advance hoping it was recirculating water, and I hooked up a hose to bypass the heater core. I shot the hoses with a FLIR camera and when sitting still after a hard run down the road and back with the fan on sitting still idling there is only a 5 degree temp drop across each tank on either side of the radiator. On one side its 170, the other its 165 =( maybe my radiator is garbage... it sat with pure water in it for about 3 years until recently I flushed it with clean water and replaced with actual 50/50 antifreeze.

any ideas?

rebuilt the turbo, installed an intercooler, welded up a stainless riser to aid oil draining from the turbo, hooked the electric fan back up, fixed rotted wiring, put a toggle switch on blinkers and high beam (i broke the turn signal flipper thingy) replaced nearly all of the bulbs, bought a larger more accurate pressure gauge to read boost.... tightened alternator belt? cleaned it and threw together an emergency fix anything crate and strapped it in the back (water, oil, zippies, tape, pipe clamps, bailing wire, gloves, rags, wd40, brake cleaner, starting fluid, bulbs, fuses etc)

ive got some MB weapons i want to mount but i need spacers... 5x108 to 5x114.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I love cooling system mods. Props for creativity, but I don't think there's any way you could keep a D24 cool using those as radiators... the flowrate won't be nearly high enough. This is why all car radiators use large end tanks with all of the tubes in parallel, vs the series type radiators you have there.

If you want significantly better cooling on a D24 consider a Volvo tropical fan clutch, and getting the radiator custom re-cored into a 3 row by a radiator shop. With this setup, my D24T stays under 100C running full throttle up a steep grade with the AC on! Or more cheaply, doing a "citric acid flush" to bring an old 2 core back into like-new condition, .
im going to try this

Last edited by hvguy; 07-07-2014 at 07:59 PM.