Thread: Hello!
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Supporting Member

Welcome.

Not sure what you are asking? Are you wanting to know if you can take the M47(?) out of the 240 and put it in your 740? I put M47(?) because the diesel 240s & 740/760 got either the M46 (manual) or ZF4hp22l (auto) transmissions.

1. Bellhousing & flywheel should bolt up to the D24T but check the trans angle is different between 240 & 7xx series. Engine sits more upright in the 7xx. Don't want your shifter stick at a funny angle! Shifter cage may also be different. EDIT: (later) So I guess the 240 parts donor would not be that useful as it would probably put the shifter lever poking into your knee.

2. Need pedal box, clutch cable, shifter boot (& console insert?), OD relay for 7xx.

3. Need manual driveshaft for 7xx, (at least the front portion?)

If you had a lift and all necessary skills, tools, and parts you could do it in a weekend.

Could swap another auto in one day easy. Just be careful with the kickdown cable.

I know you say you prefer std over auto, so do I, but with this engine, the ZF auto seems to be the better choice for driveability and performance (I have one of each). The manual can get slightly better MPG.

Thank your dad for his helpfulness but he may have damaged the auto tranny towing it that way. What distance/speed?

How long do you wait for it to engage in D or R?

Last edited by ngoma; 08-30-2014 at 06:39 PM.